Wednesday 15 May 2013

Tonight someone sent me a rose

I've seen men trying to sell roses in the restaurants of Monopoli centro storico most nights.  They usually don't waste any time avoiding my table.  Ladies dining alone probably aren't their best prospects!

Seeing as I was sat at the very rear of another restaurant tonight I expected the same. Instead he came towards me proffering a rose and while I responded Non, grazie (which I should probably check does actually translate to "No, thank you" and not some confusing mixed message!) he said something about Suo amico ("your friend") while indicating back down the restaurant and giving me the beautiful rose.

Given the position of my table, everyone else in there, including the staff, was in the direction he indicated so I still have no idea who gave me the rose or whether in fact the seller felt sorry for me and thought he'd make up an admirer, but I'm really quite thrilled!  I don't think I've ever been sent anything by another table in a bar or restaurant or been given a flower by a stranger before.

Having felt varying degrees of annoyance at the ways men here typically "show appreciation", this felt like an altogether more subtle and romantic gesture and succeeded in putting a shy smile on my face!

Italian men - not so bad after all!

No comments:

Post a Comment