Sunday 29 May 2016

Breaking down walls and a nudge to patriarchy too!

The past two weeks saw the biggest part of the job take place (certainly the part that causes most stress to the builders because it's so serious if anything goes wrong): the load-bearing walls coming down.

We took out 2 major walls in the kitchen to make it as large and open-plan a space as possible.  I love this part!  Even with all the dust and noise, there's no way they could get me off site, despite their pleading!  There's just something so transformative about walls coming down!  

Heavy beams arriving on site and heading into the house
...while old wall comes down
New support wall built...
Ta-dah!
Another wall ready to go - this time it's double brick so needs a lot of steel
Strong-boys in place but open to the hallway!

Elsewhere, more subtle transformations were also taking place...

Smooth new plaster over textured ceilings

...and I was gearing up for a little work of my own!

Ready to try and find the perfect grey
Does this count as a triptych?!

In other news this week, my builder felt the need to twice commend me by saying "Good girl!".

The first time, I pointed out it was a bit patronising and asked him to please not say it again, which he dismissed telling me that calling me a girl is a compliment, meaning I'm young and I've still got it!

The second time, after a trying day, I really saw red and so, in what may have been overly forceful terms, I made my point rather more clearly, including pointing out that I pay his (insert choice word here) bills and patting him on the head with a "Well done!  Good boy!"!

Too much?  Either way, I don't think he'll be saying it to me again any time soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment