Friday 21 December 2012

Festegiarre!

It rained all day today making the ice rink not such a great choice so we booked into a swanky new restaurant in town.  The food was great, the beer did flow, everyone had a lovely time.

When it came time to pay the bill and I approached with my card, the two gentlemen gave me warm smiles and said I couldn't pay.  Thinking they were joking that a ragazza (girl) shouldn't pay for the whole table I smiled back and said in my stilted Italian that yes I could.  This continued back and forth about them taking my money until my friend pointed to a sign - they couldn't take cards!  Cue major embarrassment thanks to my misunderstanding followed by panic as I count out every last Euro from my shiny bureau de change envelope and don't have enough!  Thankfully someone was able to chip in the last €25 so I didn't end up washing dishes, but lesson learned - smiley, charming Italian men aren't always flirting!

No comments:

Post a Comment