Wednesday 7 August 2013

Another day, another drama!

I had been convinced by Italian friends that aluminium shutters were better for us than traditional wood - longer lasting and less maintenance.  Today they were fitted and, to demonstrate that it isn't all sunshine and gelato renovating a property abroad, I'll admit to you, I cried a little.  I hadn't properly considered that sturdy, high security shutters were never going to look beautiful and would always introduce an element of industrial compromise on what is otherwise such a beautiful building.  

Me: "I'm upset.  They're so ugly.  What do you think?"
Mr RR: "I like them."
Me: (brightening and encouraged that perhaps I'm overreacting) "Really?"
Mr RR: "But they are jarring!"

There have been decisions on this project that I've never had to consider before and really, in my defence, deciding on colours and styles of shutters when you are in UK with little to no frame of reference is hard.  I'm sincerely hoping that:
   1. they'll look better once the whole building is finished, and
   2. I'll get used to them
but regardless, the shutters are likely staying as this is a very, very expensive element to change.

"Love is a wonderful home"!
On a more positive note, this afternoon we spotted a squashed gecko outside our new home and the builder told us that geckos are good luck here as they signify money.  I'm not sure how seeing a dead gecko isn't therefore bad luck and the end of money, but anyway!  He went on to tell me that a holidaying couple from another part of Italy had popped their heads in when he was working, so he had invited them up to see the real "wow!" of the building, the vaulted ceilings of the first floor, and they said they loved it, had asked to buy it and left their details if we ever want to sell it!  

Is it wrong that I'm curious to see what they would offer?

No comments:

Post a Comment